2019 The WVR In Review

It’s just about the end of the year and I’m thinking a look back over the year’s progress is in order. The WVR is a big undertaking and I don’t want to loose my way or get demoralized. I’d like to make sure I’m still on the same track on which I began this project.

Less than a year ago, the basement was still unfinished…

Then, finally in February of 2019, a finished space for the WVR…

I had already been working on the layout plan and some ideas for incorporating JMRI into the functions of the turnouts and signals and the wish list for other aspects of the layout. Now it was time to make it real.

It’s been a lot of fun building the layout thus far. A lot of work, too! The benchwork is complete and there is only a small portion of sub-roadbed to finish up. There are six operational turnouts and another four in place with servos installed, ready to wire. I just ordered my fourth box of track and roadbed which will give me 300 feet of Peco code 83 flex track. I think I have 150′ or so operational, but there will be almost 500 feet of mainline alone when the trackage is complete.

There are seven blocks with detection connected to my JMRI computer through loconet. There is one operational semaphore in place and responding to block detection. I have a bakers dozen single head semaphores in house and have just ordered four double headed units.

I believe that all the wants that I had when the project started are still obtainable. The minimum mainline radius is 30″. There is one #7 curved turnout on the main, the rest are #8. The maximum grade is 2%. There are four passing sidings, each 12′ or longer. The track plan will accommodate point to point and continuous running.

I have made a few adjustments along the way, after some reading and thought, I now plan to have two semi-hidden tracks behind the south yard for staging. I had not considered this before. They will be quite long and should hold two trains each. I may make some removable buildings or backdrops for access, not sure yet, or I may just leave them visible and call them interchange tracks. I now have and plan for more industry sidings than the original track plan shows and I have overhauled the plan for the two main yards, as well.

All in all, I’d have to say it’s been a good year…

There is much yet to be done, for sure. This is a hobby, though, and I have the rest of my time (whatever is given to me) to enjoy this endeavor that is the Wildcat Valley Railway.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *